Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Food is Fuel...not an event

I'm teaching myself that Food is Fuel and not an event.  I didn't realize I was doing this once I started counting calories and eating healthier...I was still holding on to some of my "oh my gosh food is so awesome" mentalities.

For example, and let me know if you ever think these things, or am I weird?

I like to "set my stage" for eating my meals so everything is perfect before I start eating. Like, if I'm going to eat and watch TV...I make sure I have my TV show all picked out and lined up on the TV, I make sure that my beverage is already out, I use the potty and then I bring out my food, turn on the tv, then I finally settle in.  If I'm channel surfing, I don't actually start eating until I've picked the show!

I don't like eating "courses as they come out" I want to set everything out on my plate, see it and pick the order that I eat it then. (unless its a fancy restaurant or something, that's okay, but not at home!)

I won't multitask when I eat, TV is different, but I don't read email, answer my phone, read Twitter (unless I'm at a restaurant waiting for food or something). I just eat the food.

I still look forward to food at a restaurant most of the time..I get all excited to go have mexican, or go have noodles, or the dessert at a restaurant...I obviously enjoy the people I'm going to see but I want to focus on that part, and let the food just be something that is fueling me..its a bonus that its not typical stuff from home, so I have variety, but I shouldnt' get so worked up about it.

Is this making sense? I'm going to read a book about emotional attachment to food, Ann is going to lend it to me, I can't remember the title, but when I'm reading it I'll talk about it here.

I also wanted to tell you guys about what I had for breakfast, I've never mixed stuff into my oatmeal before, well milk and syrup maybe but that's about it. 

This was GOOOD:


I brought my packet of Better Oat's OatFit Maple and Brown Sugar to prepare at work (the packet is a measuring cup for your water!).  Then after preparing it I put on some banana slices and a single serving packet of  Barney Butter Almond Butter.    I mixed it all up, so good!

Have a wonderful day!
<3 Merbear

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am okay making food part of an event, just not the center of the event.
For example, the potluck we had before the 5k. The food was important, but not the focus.
Remember we eat with our eyes first, and all of our senses are immersed when we eat. It is important to smell and see our food. It is also important that we set the scene.
Think of family holidays, thankgiving etc, Maybe make the Turkey Trot the focus of the day instead of the turkey dinner! That way the food can be a part of the day and not the focus, it is still there, and enjoyable, but is not the part to get the most excited over.
If I may be so bold to suggest a book for you that might enlighten you a bit about setting the mood for eating, and tricks places use to get you to eat more, (its a REALLY good book) Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink
The book talks about reengineering your settings to make them more condusive to your goals, and talks about experiments that they have done to show how easy it is for people to eat more than they think they do. It is really awesome!

I think it is great that you are seeing these things in yourself! :) Kep up the great work Mer!